Saturday, June 7, 2008

Summer Learning

Last week we celebrated the last day of school by spraying the kids with Silly String as they got off of the bus, then moving inside for a beach party lunch.
Summer is a time for fun. I'm all for relaxing for a bit, and enjoying some extra time as a family. BUT....I've read a lot of reports about how much learning children lose over the summer. One study showed most teachers have to spend the first four to six weeks of the school year re-teaching many of the things their students learned before the summer break!
I want to make sure my kids go back to school next year feeling confident. I talked to pre-school director Tracy Belmonte about wanting to keep the learning going without sacrificing any
summer fun. I hope our conversation gives you some good ideas.
j.

No comments: