Monday, May 12, 2008

Take Care of Yourself!

Fifty million people in this country are caregivers. Most of them are women caring for a sick parent or child. Caring for healthy family members and friends is also a job that requires a lot of energy.
We do it because we love it. We wouldn't want it any other way, but too many women are putting themselves on a back-burner and it's having serious negative effects.
We're not eating right. We're not getting enough sleep. We're not getting enough exercise. We are disorganized. We are stressed. Experts say the stress alone involved with being a caregiver can take ten years off of your life! As a caregiver you have doubled your risk of developing depression!
The good news is, you have the power to turn all that around. You CAN take care of yourself while you're taking care of others. I want to help you to do that.
Here at my house, I take care of my husband, my five kids (ages 10-3), My father-in-law (who moved in with us after my mother-in-law died of cancer) and my step-daughter.
In coming blogs, I'll share with you other elements of my life that challenge my ability to find some time to take care of myself (I started a new business); and more importantly for you, ways that I have found to be able to steal ten little minutes here and there for myself that help me to work toward a longer, stronger, healthier life for me and my family.
I've gotten some of these tips from the incredible experts I've had the chance to interview over the years...some from friends and family members...some from people who watch our TV show, or read our newspaper articles, or visit our web site (jenniferTVshow.com)... and I'd love for you to share your tips with us, too.
Looking forward to staying in touch.
j.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are 6 of us in my house and I can relate to this very topic. I try not to let stress get the best of me, and this information could REALLY help me out. I'm sure everyone can relate. Thanks for the great advice, I look forward to more of your blogs soon!